How to Choose the Right Exercise Bike for Your Home
Indoor cycling has always been an accessible and popular way to exercise at home. It’s a comfortable way to lose weight and comes with a range of other health benefits. However, with all the different brands and types of stationary bikes, it can be hard to choose the right one to achieve your fitness goals.
This quick guide will help you find out which type of stationary bike is right for you.
The Three Types of Stationary Bikes
Stationary exercise bikes fall into one of three categories:
- Recumbent: Recumbent exercise bikes are the most modern of the three types. They have their riders seated in a relaxed, inclined position. This allows them to exercise comfortably and reduces strain on the body. Recumbent bikes also free the upper body for other activities or exercises, allowing you to save time when multi-tasking.
- Upright: Upright exercise bikes are the traditional model of stationary bikes and have their riders seated in an upright position. While they are still a great workout, they put more stress on the body and so are not ideal for those with health issues.
- Spin: Spin bikes are designed for those seeking an authentic fitness experience. While similar to upright bikes, spin bikes prioritise speed and functionality in place of comfort. They are a great choice for serious athletes who want to train in the comfort of their home.
The Rising Popularity of Recumbent Bikes
Recumbent bikes are quickly becoming the most popular choice for home workouts thanks to the many benefits of their design. These include:
- Reduced strain on the lower back
- Increased comfort during use
- Increased ease in mounting and dismounting
- Reduced weight on knees and joints
- Smoother motion and lower impact exercise
- Frees the upper body for multitasking or use of weights
- Reduced stress on the heart
- Reduced risk of injuries, aches and soreness after workout
While everyone can appreciate these benefits, they also make the recumbent bike an ideal choice for the elderly or those with health issues.
Choosing the Right Recumbent Bike
A high-quality recumbent bike is an investment that’s built to last. That’s why it’s important to make sure you buy a bike that matches your needs. Before buying any stationary bike, take the time to consider your personal requirements. How often do you plan on using it? How much space will it require? What features will be most useful?
While recumbent bikes are available in many affordable price ranges, some of the most popular models are listed below, offering the widest selection of features for the best price.
The Shwinn 570R is the best in its class and features a sturdy and high-quality design. It comes equipped with an LCD screen, heart rate monitor, fan and sound system among many other features. With over 29 programs and the ability to wirelessly connect to apps via Bluetooth, it is the complete personal trainer.
The Hybrid Mag Trainer is an amazing piece of machinery. It’s a portable recumbent bike, rowing machine, strength trainer and more. This versatile trainer folds up to save space and with a few quick changes can transform into a new workout machine. The Mag Trainer offers a whole-body workout with the ability to isolate specific areas and perform pilates and strength exercises. See the special deal available this month on the Hybrid Mag Trainer 2.0 Rower/Recumbent Bike.
The Shuriken is another popular bike model. Its sleek design allows for a comfortable workout, aided by its motorised silent magnetic resistance method, which seamlessly moves resistance up or down with a press of a button. Along with its added features, it’s a great choice for smooth, low intensity exercise.
Need help choosing an exercise bike or finding the right model to suit your training goals? Contact Orbit Fitness today to find out more or visit one of our stores to test out our range.