Your Ultimate Guide to Rowing Machines: The Burn, Benefits, & Beyond
Looking to drop stubborn kilos with the ultimate all over body workout? That’s just one of the rowing machine benefits you’ll reap once you start on your routine.
It’s innovative, it’s efficient, and it’s effective for weight loss for women and men.
It helps with stress reduction, works your back muscles, and it’s the perfect form of cardio to change up your of treadmill and exercise bike routine.
And it’s about to become your new best friend.
Rowing Machines Will Rock Your Workout
Rowing machines are picking up serious steam, and it’s pretty obvious why. Using a rowing machine gives you an all-over body workout while elevating your heart rate and toning muscles. If there’s any workout that delivers in terms of muscle building, cardio, and weight loss, it’s the rowing machine.
You don’t have to take our word for it that rowing machines are the ultimate all-over body workout—we have plenty of data to prove the effectiveness of rowing, and we think you’ll jump right on board by the time you reach the end of this article.
How Many Calories Can You Burn By Rowing?
Water rowing machines can provide an intense cardio workout, depending on your effort levels. You can use them for high intensity interval training, or for a long workout to help build endurance.
However you decide to row, you’re sure to burn some serious calories—but those calories depend on several factors:
- A 70 kg man rowing for 60 minutes at moderate intensity can burn around 490 calories. If he bumps up his workout to an intense level, that same man can burn nearly 850 calories in 60 minutes.
- A 57 kg female rowing for 60 minutes at a moderate level can expect to burn around 620 calories.
Calorie burn numbers can be difficult to pinpoint, but you can get your exact number by wearing a heart rate monitor with a watch that reads your calorie burn.
If an estimate on your burn is good enough to get you by, this calculator can give you a rough idea of your numbers.
Either way, rowing machines are top-notch for burning calories. The burn is right up there with other forms of intense cardio workouts, such as running, kickboxing, and tennis. It also burns up to three times as many calories as spinning.
What Makes Rowing So Crazy Beneficial?
Rowing machines have a laundry list of benefits, and it’s pretty easy to see why. If you’re still not convinced that rowing is the right workout for you, perhaps these benefits will get you out of your spinning class and onto the rowing machine.
1. Rowing machines can help you drop serious kilos. Since rowing machines provide a full-body workout, the calorie burn shoots through the roof. In turn, the rowing machine can help you lose weight as long as you eat at a deficit. That simply means that you need to burn more calories than you consume.
When you spend an hour per day rowing, creating a deficit becomes quite easy.
2. They provide lesser impact compared to high-impact sports. One of the downfalls of running is that it can be hard on your knees and joints, especially if you’re running outside on the pavement.
When you’re rowing on an ergo rowing machine, you don’t have to worry about hammering your joints on hard surfaces. Your workout will be tough on your cardiovascular system, but it will give your body a break from rigorous workouts that can injure your joints and tendons.
3. Rowing ignites ignored muscles. While running and biking focus almost entirely on the legs, rowing taps into a bigger variety of muscles, including back muscles. Rowing doesn’t isolate muscle activity to one part of your body, which is why it is so effective as an all-over body workout.
What Rowing Machine is Right For You? Quick Tips
Other than access to your very own ergo rowing machine and comfortable workout attire, you don’t need much at all to row your way to a better body—and we bet you’re excited to get started.
So, how do you know what rowing machine is best for you?
- Consider size. Take measurements of your workout space and the rowing machine to ensure for optimal room during workouts.
- Resistance. Are you looking for a hydraulic workout like the real deal? Or do you simply want to mimic the rowing motion with air?
- Budget. Factor in features that matter to you and determine what can fit into your budget.
- Talk to a professional. If you’re still not sure where to turn, feel free to contact us with any questions.
Checkout the range of Orbit Fitness rowing machines now.
Get Rowing In the Right Direction
It’s tough to top all of the rowing machine benefits. From ultra-high calorie burns to weight loss benefits and beyond, rowing machines can take your fitness to another level without having to ever step into water.
Let’s get ready to row!